Lay Preaching Preparation
Whether you are a clergy person who believes someone has the gifts for lay preaching or if you are a lay person discerning those gifts, you need to get together and have some discerning conversation! If you determine to move forward toward a Lay Preaching License in the Diocese of Western Massachusetts, contact The Rev. Nancy Webb Stroud or Canon Pam Mott. Together, we will work out the best way to move forward.
Participant’s Commitment for 12-16 months:
- Attend the monthly webinars (from the comfort of your own home, or from the church office!). We will most likely use ZOOM for the webinars. The course will be in three “semesters”. In between each series of webinars, there will be time for reflection and exploration. The first semester will begin with an introductory webinar in September 2018, with webinars once a month for four months after that. Register by September 7.
- Prepare for those webinars by doing the assignments. Assignments take the form of reading, responding to exercises, sermon writing, responding online as part of the ongoing conversation. The primary text we will use is A Sermon Workbook: Exercises in the Art and Craft of Preaching, by Leonora Tubbs Tisdale and Tom Troeger, Abingdon Press, 2013. Participants will need access to the internet.
- Identify ways to “dig into” Scripture. Attend a weekly Bible study? Offer a weekly bible study? EFM (Education for Ministry)? Commitment to the Bible Challenge (http://thecenterforbiblicalstudies.org/the-bible-challenge/what-is-the-bible-challenge/)? You are beginning, or deepening a commitment to lifelong learning, especially as you continue in the Preaching ministry. Consider beginning with the newest Church’s teaching series.
- Continued conversation with your priest as to how this ministry is to be lived out in the congregation.
- Last but not least, have a daily practice of prayer.
- Continue support of and conversation with the participant around determining a course of learning at the local level; field questions, study together, help participant put together a group of people to reflect on preaching. Consider getting together to talk as YOU prepare your sermon. Share the resources you use, talk through your process, etc.
- Work with participant to help them “find their voice” – literally and figuratively.
- Help in technical ways: help make sure they can get online for the webinars, help in recording (audio and video), e.g. If neither person has that expertise, find the resources!
- Consider joining with neighboring parishes, or a region to create the local experience and conversation.
Contact us and register by September 7, 2018
The first introductory webinar in September, 2018. (The webinar conversation will be by ZOOM; participants will need to have access to internet.)